Wednesday, July 15, 2015

Anthropology: How is yoga around the world practiced differently in comparison to Western practice?

Like I said, yoga in America is sometimes practiced extremely differently than where it originated from. I want to know how it differs in parts of the world. I feel like wherever yoga started it wasn’t used for exercise but more for meditation and spiritual connections and stuff. Do people in Africa practice yoga or something similar? What does it mean to them or what do they do it for? What about in Europe? Australia? Is it practiced differently in different parts of Asia, or do they all practice it similarly? I’m not very interested in anthropology, but I would be interested in the yoga part of it. The way I practice and like to practice is probably a lot different than other people around the world. Honestly, I don't know where they do and don't practice yoga. I wonder what other types of things there are like yoga that people around the world do. How did yoga come to America? And when? Was it introduced here the way that its practiced in other cultures? I also want to know what cultures hold it to be a special, sacred time? I know some people pray and stuff like that, but with yoga it's more of a meditation. It's personal quiet time, but does everyone see it that way? Can it bring cultures together?

No comments:

Post a Comment