Wednesday, July 15, 2015

Art: Can yoga be considered a form of art?

In western culture, sometimes I think of yoga as a class with cute moms in lulu lemons and Nikes trying to get away from their daily lives for an hour and be calm while getting in some exercise then moving on with their busy lives. Once I started going and taking it up on my own I realized there’s so much more to it that I don’t have a clue about. I’m really glad it came to America, but I want to know more about the history of it. From reading about it and watching videos for hours on YouTube and attending classes, I’ve learned that there are so many detailed parts to yoga and that someone who grew up doing it in Asia somewhere can do it perfectly and I’m farrrrrr from it. Even though I’ve progressed a ton and I feel more confident about it, practicing yoga is definitely a lifestyle and takes so much time to master because each and every pose has a specific way to do it in order for it to be correct or whatever. The crazy poses where the person is upside-down doing something weird with their legs or balancing on something are the hardest. It takes so many steps to get into those poses and you take a breath at each and do it very slowly to get it correct and to really get into the pose. But what I’m getting at is that maybe that can be considered a form of art? There’s so much technique to it and the poses are called things like Pigeon and Tree and stuff and I’m wondering if people in japan or china or India or wherever yoga came from if they consider it art? And if so, I want to know all about it!

No comments:

Post a Comment