Thursday, July 2, 2015

Worms

I believe in mornings. I believe in waking to the sound of chirping birds and the smell of freshly brewed coffee. Even though rolling out of my fluffy, warm bed is the last thing I want to do at 8 a.m., I do it anyways because I believe in mornings. Haven't you ever heard the early bird gets the worm? We all have a different "worm", I'd say. I'll tell you about mine.

I feel a pang of guilt when I reach over to hit the snooze button and continue to slumber. I have anxious dreams of what I could be missing: prime yoga time, sitting on the front porch, errands, tanning...the list goes on. I believe that sunlight is a gift. I wouldn't want to waste it, so my subconscious anxiety wakes me up.

I believe in routines, especially my morning and evening ones. After I'm finally awake and out of bed, I stumble to the kitchen to turn on the coffee brewer then head to the bathroom to wash my face and brush my teeth. By the time I'm finished with that, the coffee's ready. I put one packet of sugar into my cup then sit on the front porch to drink it while checking social media and making  a to-do list for the day.

I always have a to-do list. Constantly there's something to do for the house, the car, something to clean, somewhere to go, something to buy...it never ends. On top of that, I'm a slow person. I pay attention to detail and may have a small case of OCD, so I take my time with most things I do to make sure it's just right. I am in a sorority, have a job, and like to spend time with my friends and family. When I wake up late, I feel as if I won't have time for all of these in one day.

I believe in alone time and I get that when I wake up early. My favorite time to do yoga is - you guessed it - in the morning! It feels good to get in a little stretching and meditation to wake me up. Yoga leaves me focused and ready for whatever the day may bring. It's also my time to reflect on myself and think about improvements I want to make.

I believe in hard work and personal growth. When I've started my day bright and early, I know I'm going to have a good day. It will be productive, and I'll have plenty of time to do all the things I want to do and do them my way.

Mornings are important to me. I'm a busy person with lots of aspirations. Mornings give me the opportunity and motivation to reach my goals. Now, I haven't always been this obsessed with the time between 6 and 11 a.m. I used it for sleeping, like a normal teen does. But there would be those days when I would wake up early and I'd have such a good day. I loved it, but I loved staying up late and sleeping in late more. Maybe staying out late every night was a small phase of rebellion towards my parents or something, but now that I live on my own I cherish the morning time even more.

Mornings are a gift from God. They represent peace and new beginnings. They offer us a fresh start, a clean slate. We can shape our days into whatever we want them to be. There's only so much you can do after dark, but I know I personally have a lack of motivation in the evenings. It's important to me to wake up early and hit the ground running. I don't have time to waste, nor do I want to waste it. I especially don't want to waste it sleeping.

I believe in coffee. I believe in alarm clocks. I believe the early bird gets the worm and I believe in mornings.

1 comment:

  1. I love mornings! I like how you described hearing the bird chirping and the smell of fresh brewed coffee. I love the smell of coffee but I do not like the taste!

    ReplyDelete