Thursday, July 9, 2015

Bloom's Taxonomy Chart

This semester, I have moved up Bloom’s Taxonomy chart. At first, I was expected to remember information that I had learned in pervious years of my education. Some of the skills and terms we’ve discussed I had already been familiar with. I started at the Knowledge level. Once we began reading The Heart and The Fist together, I was pushed up to the Comprehension level in order to understand the book and communicate my interpretation of it to my class.  This required a little more thinking and application of what I’ve learned. This level tested my understanding by allowing me to share my thoughts with my peers and read about theirs.
When I was getting to know my audience, I was learning at the analysis level. I used information I had learned previously in this course to ask questions and examine the answers to understand my audience better. That sort of activity forced me to become aware of whom I was writing for. 
I think the freewrites have been giving me a chance to learn at the synthesis level because I have been trying to incorporate things I’ve learned in the Writer’s Workbench and other online courses and readings to improve my wiring. I’ve been trying new techniques, although I still feel a little stuck in my writing style, but I’m trying to expand and improve that, too.
This week, we’ve been focusing on editing. By editing my writing groups essays, I was tested in the evaluation section. I had to examine and judge their writing and suggest ways on how to improve it. I’ve been learning in this level as I edit my own essay, as well.

This chart and the explanation of it make perfect sense, but I don’t think I could tell you the exact stage I’m at now. Different assignments require a different level of thinking and the skills that go with it. For example, responding to discussion boards is a lower level of thinking compared to writing an essay. But I do feel like I have been on the higher end towards the second half of the semester.

No comments:

Post a Comment